Disclaimer

Disclaimer: The information found on this site is meant for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing on this site should be construed as a recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell derivatives or securities or to trade any particular strategy. Trading of derivatives or securities has large potential risk and you must be aware of and accept all the risks. Past performance of any trading system or methodology is not necessarily indicative of future results. No representation is being made that any account will or is likely to achieve performance results similar to those discussed on this website. Hypothetical or simulated performance results have certain limitations and do not represent actual trading.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Easy Volatility Investing by Tony Cooper

This is the link for an abstract.  The research is very similar to what I have been conducting with my Fair Volatility Estimate model in that VIX Exchange Trade Products trading has shown tremendous profit potential.  His research is conducted in a much more organized manner than mine.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2255327


Upon closer reading, some strategies presented in the paper would not make viable "trading systems". One of the strategies has not shown a trade since late 2011. Such few trades does not a trading system make... Good read, though...

(this post was adjusted on August 22nd to correct for some errors)

3 comments:

  1. You read the article inaccurately. It is his system #3 (his second best) that hasn't had a trade since 10/10/11. His #4 VRP system has had 10 switches since then. Also, why would a low number of trades negate it as a trading system??? Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, to answer your question above, I believe any model or trading strategy would have to stand the test of time AND # of observations. Otherwise, the rules runs the risk of applying hindsight to an uncertain and changing future with possible outcomes being dramatically different than past results.

      Delete
  2. John, I think we are communicating back and forth on seekingalpha.com so I will just repost what I commented there.

    Yes, you are right. What I am meaning to say is that I would take the trading rules & backtested results with heavy dose of skepticism. I believe Tony recognizes this as well by attaching the Grim Reaper on backtested results. The research is spot on.

    If I may give one example, I have one "trading rule" that if I take out 1 short VIX futures trade entered before the May 6, 2010 flash crash, it's CAGR would have been 182.9% with max drawdown of 39.9% since Jan 2008. This is inclusive of $8.3 million of slippage & commission costs. A hypothetical $100k account would have returned $36 million in 5.66 years. I could argue that a flash crash like the one in 2010 would not happen again to that extent, but the fact is that it did happen. Including the 1 trade, the numbers change to 156.1% CAGR with 77% max dd. A hypothetical $100k account shows ending balance of $20.5 million in this particular simulation.

    Perhaps you are knowledgeable enough to understand that a small change in parameters like # of days used in a moving average or even slightly lower volatility risk premiums would dramatically change the performance when dealing with compounded growth #s.

    I am skeptical of my own research as it pertains to simulated results (and my simulated results are superior to ones provided in the abstract), therefore, I cannot help but be skeptical of the simulated results in the abstract.

    The abstract organizes the research in a more disciplined manner and points out the risks and opportunities with great clarity. This is why I have posted the abstract in my blog.

    John, if you are the same person in SA, I thank you for introducing the abstract.

    ReplyDelete